- Of Counsel
Alan Goldstein practices primarily building and construction law. He counsels clients regarding design professional, general contractor, construction management and subcontract agreements, guaranteed maximum price formulas, design-build contracts, construction joint ventures, fast track and phased delivery methods and green construction. He represents construction industry clients in the negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration of construction disputes.
He drafts and negotiates contracts for major construction projects throughout the United States including NFL stadiums, NBA arenas, convention centers, airport facilities, school and university buildings, high-rise office towers, hospitals, extended care facilities, laboratories, clean room facilities, manufacturing plants, apartment complexes and office parks. Among these projects are Lucas Oil Stadium (home of the Indianapolis Colts); the Wier Cook Midfield Terminal and related improvements for the Indianapolis International Airport; Tampa Arena, Tampa, Fla.; Pro-Players Stadium, Miami, Fla.; Thunder Dome, St. Petersburg, Fla.; Cleveland Browns Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, Wis.; Banker's Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Ind.; the Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis, Ind.; Merrill Lynch Corporate Campus, Plainsboro, N.J.; Procter and Gamble Corporate Headquarters, Cincinnati, Ohio; Chase Tower, Market Tower and One American
Square, Indianapolis, Ind.; Tower Center, East Brunswick, N.J.; One Liberty Place, Philadelphia, Pa.; and Syracuse University Science and Technology Center, Syracuse, N.Y.
As lead counsel in major trials, arbitrations and virtually every form of alternative dispute resolution, he prosecutes and defends delay, acceleration, interference, liquidated damage claims and breach of contract claims. His trial and arbitration experience also includes a broad range of technical design and construction defect disputes including excavation, piling, foundations, concrete, structural systems, curtain walls, masonry, mechanical/electrical systems, roofing and mechanics lien and bond issues.
He also serves as trial and arbitration counsel in business litigation matters including real estate and corporate disputes and breach of contract actions.
Alan is a native of Indianapolis, Indiana. He received his Bachelor of Arts in English literature from Indiana University in 1965 and his juris doctorate, cum laude, from Indiana University H. McKinney School of Law in 1969.
He is admitted to practice law in the state of Indiana and before the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court.
In addition to his practice, Goldstein has written for and lectured at numerous professional seminars on the subjects of civil procedure, evidence and construction law. From 1971 until 1980, he was an adjunct professor of law at the Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis where he taught courses in civil procedure, evidence and conflicts of law.
Areas of Practice
- Building Law
- Construction Law
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Juris Doctorate - 1969
- Honors: cum laude
- Indiana University
- Bachelor of Arts - 1965
- Major: English Literature
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
Honors and Awards
- 2013 Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2007-2014
- Indiana Super Lawyer, 2004-2017
- Distinguished Barrister, Indiana Lawyer, 2010
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell, Peer Review Ratings
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, American Bar Association and its Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Indianapolis Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry, American Bar Association, Member, Indianapolis Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President, Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis
- Current Fellow, Wexner Heritage Foundation
- Board Member, Indianapolis Opera Company