Katzman & Katzman, P.C.
Toll Free

Can I modify a child support order?

While you should always follow a court order for child support, that does not mean that the court cannot change the order. This is important to know when you pay child support in Indiana. You may run into situations where things change and you need to have the order reevaluated by the court. You should understand how to go about asking for a change to your child support, so if you need one, you know how to get it.

The State of Indiana explains that you can only modify a child support order in specific cases. In fact, there must be a permanent change of circumstances that is substantial. Permanent just means that it is not a temporary change. Substantial means it must make a 20 percent change in your child support liability. Both you and the person receiving the support have the right to request modifications.

Changes may come about due to the loss of a job or a change in income for either you or the person receiving the support. You could request a change because your parenting time has changed or the expenses for raising the child have changed.

It is also important to be aware that once your child reaches the age of 19, you are no longer obligated to pay child support, but you must go to court to request a change in your child support order. You cannot just stop paying support when your child turns 19. You need the child support order modified to exclude that child. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us An Email

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Katzman & Katzman, P.C.

Katzman & Katzman, P.C.
3500 Depauw Blvd., Suite 2100
Indianapolis, IN 46268

Toll Free: 866-557-8841
Phone: 317-973-0881
Fax: 317-872-5769
Indianapolis Office Map